1. Pacers Bikeshare events – Tuesday April 22nd (www.pacersbikeshare.org)
- 10 am Ribbon Cutting @ Bankers Life Fieldhouse
- 4:30-6:30 pm Launch Celebration at City Market (West Plaza)
2. BGI Rides (details at www.bgindy.com/for/bgirides)
- BGI South Rest & Recovery Rides have started – they are on Mondays at 6 pm and are led by Jamie Waikel and Lisa Searles
- BGI North – Chicks Ride starts May 7, 1st, 3rd and 5th Wednesdays @ 6:30 pm – led by Connie Schmucker
- BGI North – Evening Cruise Ride starts May 1, Thursdays @ 6:30 pm – led by Connie Schmucker
3. SPIN 2014 – Indiana Bike Summit is happening next week April 24-26 in Bloomington, IN. More info at www.bicycleindiana.org
4. Bike Month (May) is just 2 weeks away. In conjunction with Bike Month:
- CycloFemme Indy Kick-Off Party on Monday May 5 and CycloFemme Indy Ride on Sunday May 11 (www.facebook.com/womenbikeindy)
- Bike to Work Day on Friday May 16
- May 1 marks the beginning of the National Bike Challenge (www.nationalbikechallenge.org) and the local M4 (Mayor's Million Mile Month) Challenge – something all BGI employees and customers can participate in! (more on this later)
- HMBA is hosting IMBA at Southwestway Park for a trail building class and work day on Saturday May 17 (www.hmba.org)
5. May BGI Clinics (www.bgindy.com/for/clinics)
- Fixing Flat Tires
- Urban Cycling Tips
- Featured Clinic: Traveling with Your Bike
New this year – clinic attendees get a coupon for purchases the night of the clinic and opportunity to earn $10 GC with Learn & Earn card by attending 4 clinics.
6. HMBA (Hoosier Mountain Bike Association) is up for a $33K grant from Bell Sports – voting is from April 21 – May 4. More info at http://blog.bgindy.com/blog/the-bgi-buzz/your-vote-could-help-hmba-build-the-hobbs-hollow-trail They just missed getting this grant last year.
7. Spring Bike Counts – Volunteers Needed! Wed. May 7, 5-7 pm and Sat. May 10, 12 noon – 2 pm – to volunteer, contact Joan Cook, Health by Design, at email@example.com if you are interested in participating. For more information, you can contact her at 317-250-3475. Please indicate what day you would like to count and if you have participated before.
Connie Szabo Schmucker, Advocacy Director
Bicycle Garage Indy
Indianapolis & Greenwood