Sign up NOW to participate in the National Bike Challenge (www.nationalbikechallenge.org) and you’ll automatically be entered into any local challenges in your area, including the M4 Challenge (Mayor’s Million Mile Month Challenge) – details on the local challenge will be posted on the National Bike Challenge website soon, but the basics are we’re looking for 5000 Indy-area residents to participate in the National Bike Challenge this year with the goal of reaching 1 million miles in the month of May..
National Bike Challenge – newly designed for 2014!
- 4 ways to enter your rides: manual entry on the website, or synch with Endomondo, Map My Ride or Moves online apps.
- More ways to be engaged: You can join your workplace, join or create a team, join or create a league, and you’ll automatically be entered into rankings for city, state and any local challenge in your area. New ranking categories include Schools (students, faculty and staff of elementary through college), and Bike Shops / Dealers.
- Expanded comment and message areas on the site
- Eligible for great prizes throughout the 5 month challenge and those who attain Gold level or higher will have a chance to win a Trek Travel trip or a bike!
- The National Bike Challenge goal is 30,000,000 miles and 50,000 participants. The Mayor’s Million Mile Month Challenge goal is 1,000,000 miles and 5000 participants.
How do you earn points? You accumulate points by riding your bike outside and frequency of riding is rewarded. You earn 20 points for every day you ride, 1 point for every mile you ride. All outside miles and types of rides count (recreation, commuting, trail riding, mountain biking, etc.) Example: a 5 mile ride would earn 25 points (20 points for riding, 5 points for the 5 miles).
IndyCog and the City of Indianapolis will use the National Bike Challenge for two local initiatives:
- M4 (Mayor’s Million Mile Month) Challenge in May
- Indianapolis Bike to Work Day on Friday, May 16
Start getting your workplace involved, joining and forming teams and logging your miles.
You can start entering your rides now – the National Bike Challenge officially starts May 1 and ends September 30, 2014. Sign up is easy at www.nationalbikechallenge.org
Connie Szabo Schmucker, Advocacy Director
Bicycle Garage Indy
Indianapolis & Greenwood