Would you buy a bike, or car, without a test drive? Here is a quick primer on treadmill shopping, to help you make the right choice.
- Plan your shopping trip to leave plenty of time at the store.
- Dress in your workout clothes and tennis shoes.
- Drive to the store prepared to exercise.
- Starting with the most basic treadmill, walk or run for a good 5-10 minutes.
- Move to the next treadmill up. Walk or run for 5-10 minutes.
- Continue to repeat step #5, until you have moved through a full range of treadmills.
- Bingo! You will KNOW which treadmill is right for you.
What to look for while test driving each treadmill:
- Does the belt slip under your feet? This is NOT a good thing.
- Is the platform stable? It should not shake.
- Take it up to speed. Is it still smooth and stable? Is the unit quiet? If you are a fast runner, is this speed fast enough for you?
- Now play with the elevation (if an option). Are there enough elevation options for you? Again, at high elevation, is the unit still smooth and stable?
- Play with the consoles. Precor treadmills and Vision Fitness treadmills offer different levels of consoles, which offer increasing numbers of pre-programmed workouts and heart rate monitoring options. What level of complexity would you like in your console? Consider your training goals for the New Year.
A final word of wisdom in shopping for a permanent piece of exercise equipment for your home: “Get the highest quality which you can afford.” This treadmill will be with you for many years to come, so be sure that it is a great match with your fitness goals.
When you visit Bicycle Garage Indy, BGI Fitness is the same store. Bicycle Garage Indy-North (East 82nd Street in the Clearwater area) and Bicycle Garage Indy-South (just seconds west of I-65 on County Line Road).