(From Bicycle Garage Indy’s Ladies Night: Beating the Winter Biking Blues presentation on October 14)
With the fall season upon us, this is the perfect time to add strength training/core work to our fitness routine. Start now to create your own in-home gym, adding a variety of pieces to keep your program fresh and fun. I have a sampling of the first four in my own home.
1. SPRI Tubes, Rings, Bands. Excellent for strengthening arms and legs. Color coded – so as you increase in strength, you progress to a new color with greater resistance.
2. Medicine Balls. Available in various weights – these are especially good for core work. Cradle the ball close to your torso while doing crunches – this will increase the resistance for your abdominal muscles. Then alternate the ball from side-to-side while holding the crunch position, and you can activate your oblique abdominals as well.
3. Exercise/Stability Balls. These are great for both core work and training the arms/shoulders. For core work, press your low back into the ball while performing your crunches. Then roll further down, stabilizing your core while resting your neck on the ball. Now you can perform your upper body dumbbell work. (The ball has effectively replaced a weight bench). Be sure to check the size of the ball before purchasing – they are color coded and sized based on your height.
4. Dumbells and Body Bars. Arms, legs, core – you can do it all with these. Versatility is the key to this option.
5. Multifunction Gyms. Be sure to check these out. They are nothing like the gyms which we grew up on. Smooth, silent and requiring very little floor space. In fact, a Torque F5 or F7 gym even folds up into a beautiful piece of furniture which could easily stand in your living room!
When you visit Bicycle Garage Indy, BGI Fitness is the same store. Bicycle Garage Indy-North (East 82nd Street in the Clearwater area) and Bicycle Garage Indy-South (just seconds west of I-65 on County Line Road).